Chicken farming is the most dynamic and fastest-growing segment of the agriculture sector in Andhra Pradesh. Poultry farming of country chicken or desi chicken has been practiced in India for decades. However, local, indigenous birds are usually raised in backyard poultry. Traditionally, these birds had low egg and meat production capacity compared to commercial broilers and layer farming. But with better tension, the performance has improved considerably.
How to start country chicken farming from scratch in Andhra Pradesh
How do I start a country chicken farm?
Start-up costs for a chicken farm are reasonable and can be repaid if you decide to sell eggs to your friends, neighbors, and local farmer’s markets. Skills needed to start a chicken farm and understand the capabilities. Farming is known to be hard work, driven by a practical approach and commitment to long working hours. As a beginning farmer, you should know the skills, abilities, and expectations you need so ready to begin a farming endeavor and what the role entails.
As a farmer, you must be willing to work long hours, including weekends, very early mornings, and possibly late nights. You’ll also need to be prepared for physical work, where you’ll be feeding, cleaning, shoveling, and caring for your chickens regularly. You’ll also need to be prepared for seasonality, where your profits depend on when your chickens hatch and how well you market and sell the meat and eggs your chickens produce.
It may mean that your profits will be low during your first year as a chicken farmer, and you may have to wait for one to two years to make any significant profit from your farm. As a chicken farmer, you may need patience and be okay with failures or first-time mistakes. However, you will then need to solve problems by solving them yourself and relying on your skills as a doer.
How can I start a country chicken farm in Andhra Pradesh?
Backyard Country Chicken Farming – Generally, farmers rear domestic chickens in their backyard. While raising small numbers of native chickens, the birds shelter only at night, and during the day, the house garden, backyard, kitchen waste, grain, bugs, and insects are closed only at night. In this method, clean the chicken droppings daily, feed them to the fish in the fish pond, or use them as compost after decomposition. The emission result in this method was comparatively less than others.
Is country chicken farming profitable?
Country chicken farming is one of the fastest growing and most profitable agribusinesses in the current Indian market. Moreover, the chicken farming business is an excellent idea for those who want to pursue a successful agribusiness career in India. The biggest advantage of country chicken farming is that it does not require much capital. All you need is basic capital is important to start a country chicken farming business. Also, most chicken birds, such as chickens, are not expensive to start raising.
Country chicken farming does not require a large space unless you start it commercially. You can easily keep some birds in your backyard with one or several coops or cages. So, if you are interested in poultry farming, you can do it with several birds in your backyard. Interestingly, the commercial poultry farming business ensures a high return on investment in a very short period. Some chickens take less time to mature and become profitable. Chicken products are not very expensive. Most people can tolerate it.
Why is the housing of chickens in an east-west orientation?
Yes. Chicken houses are different from humans. The chicken house should have an east-west orientation with ventilation windows on the sides facing south and north. There should be no windows on both the east and west sides to prevent the sun rays from entering the chicken house.
What is the best place for the poultry business?
Avoid low-lying areas near rivers with the potential for flooding. Preferably, the topography will allow the long axis of the poultry house to be located in an east-west direction. It helps to reduce the amount of direct sunlight that enters through the walls of the houses. Poultry houses should be away from the residential and industrial areas. It should have adequate road facilities. It should have basic facilities such as water and electricity.
In case you missed it: How to Start Free-range Chicken Farming: A Step-By-Step Guide, Advantages, and Disadvantages
Availability of farm labor at cheap wages. It is important to choose a viable location for your poultry farm. The site should have all necessary facilities such as water supply, drainage, and electricity. Now, the selected location needs to be divided into three parts which are:
- Floor space
- Feeder space
- Watering space
The requirements mentioned above may vary according to the number, breed, and health condition.
What documents are required to start a chicken farm?
- Identity Card (PAN, Aadhaar)
- Enrollment Certificate
- Business License
- Business planning
- Insurance policy
- Poultry Farm Business Permit
- Tax identification
- Animal care standards
What are the advantages of country chicken farming?
- Using country chicken increases immunity.
- The digestive system works better and gets stronger.
- The ability to utilize protein is increasing.
- Low initial investment combined with high economic returns.
- A country chicken farm can be started with just two birds and gradually expand to a flock.
- Because of the high demand for local chickens, the birds and the eggs they produce can be sold in the local market regardless of the season.
- Leftover food, grain, and various agricultural by-products can be used as bird feed. In other words, the feed cost is negligible.
- Country chicken or ‘desi murgi’ and brown egg variety are in high demand compared to other breeds. There is virtually no labor cost involved as family members, especially children and the elderly, work as ‘laborers’ in the care of the urban farm. So this is an increase in family income.
- Since eggs and baby chickens can be sold almost anytime, rural poultry is a form of ‘anytime money.’
- If the birds are reared on an organic farm, the quality of chicken and eggs is much better. It is because the birds are raised in a stress-free environment. In this method, poultry wastes like manure, excess feed, etc., are directly applied as organic fertilizers and increase crop production.
How much time does a country chicken take to grow?
An average of 1.3 to 2.4 kg of body weight will be achieved in 120 days, and if required, additional calcium sources such as limestone powder, stone grit, and shell grit should be provided at 4 to 5 g per bird per day. This approach results in a high survival rate and good egg production.
Which is better, country chicken or broiler chicken?
Country chickens contain fewer toxins, meaning no health risks, compared to broiler chickens, which “consumer reports” are injected with hormones and additives that can cause cancer—known for increased risk and early onset of puberty.
How profitable is country chicken farming?
A young farmer can profit more than two lakhs from the second batch by excluding labor charges and other investment costs. By selling three batches of country chicken per year, the farmer will earn a profit of about six lakhs from the small-scale country chicken farming business.
Start small in the beginning – Do not start large-scale poultry farming if you are inexperienced in the market. For a business like poultry farming, you have to start small and then gradually expand.
If you also did a proper feasibility study before going into business. If there are too many competitors or the supply of poultry products exceeds the demand in your area, look elsewhere to start your business or find another business to start. There are many other profitable businesses in the livestock farming industry that you can consider.
In case you missed it: Earning More than 3 Lakh Per Month: A Success Story of Kadaknath Chicken Farmer
Is there any subsidy on poultry farming in Andhra Pradesh?
Chicken Processing Units: Government will offer a 25% subsidy to organizations/entrepreneurs on the infrastructure required for setting up poultry meat processing units subject to a maximum of Rs. 5.00 crore per the food processing policy provisions of the industries department.
How do I get a loan for the country chicken farm?
To apply for business loans for chicken farming, check your eligibility criteria as specified by the respective bank that prefers to apply for the loan. Secondly, fill out the loan application form along with the basic documents after checking and comparing all the available loan options per the business needs.
The basic details will be the required loan amount, business tenure, annual turnover, and current city. Further, the loan formalities will be done by the bank representative. After the loan approval, the loan amount will be disbursed to your bank account within the specified working days at the lender’s discretion.
Eligibility: The applicant should have a thorough knowledge of poultry farming, as evidenced by Training Certificate/Experience Certificate etc., for poultry loan eligibility.
What is the best method to feed your chickens?
Good quality commercial poultry feed should be the main component of your chicken’s diet to ensure they get all the nutrients they need. These feeds can come in pellet, mash, or raw form and are made from a mixture of grains (Corn, Oats, and Soybeans), grit (ground oyster shell or limestone), and vitamins (calcium). Although country chickens can survive on a diet of insects, seeds, and other vegetables, providing them with a balanced diet will improve their egg production.
The main ingredients in the chicken feed are grains (Corn, Wheat, and Barley), Soybean meal, vitamins, and minerals. Pellets or crumbles specially formulated for chickens are the best way to provide a balanced diet, but scratch (a mixture of grain and cracked corn) or homemade feed can also be used. Domestic chickens should have access to clean water at all times. Chickens are a valuable protein source for people in developing countries.
They are a sustainable food source as they can eat food unsuitable for human consumption. One way to feed native chickens is to give them kitchen scraps. You can also feed them grains like Corn and Millet. You can also give them fresh vegetables like Cabbage, Lettuce, and Carrots. Farmers can supplement their diets using abundant carbohydrate and protein feeds available in their area. It should be fed with vegetables and fruits. Birds should be fed only palatable green feed. Avoid toxic food.
How much feed does a country chicken eat per day?
Feeding is an important aspect of poultry farming. Unfortunately, many dangerous poultry diseases are a direct result of improper poultry feeding practices. A balanced diet protects the birds from various diseases and increases their productivity. Therefore, properly understanding poultry feeding is essential to making poultry farming a profitable venture. Chickens should be given one feed – 40-45 grams daily for up to 8 weeks. Dose for growing phase – 50-70 grams per day for 8 to 24 weeks. Laying stage feed – 24 weeks old birds should be fed 80-120g/day.
Why is country chicken expensive?
Country chickens are more expensive than broilers because they grow and lay about 14 eggs a month, compared to 30 eggs for broilers.
How do you protect country chickens from diseases?
Country chickens provide a valuable source of food and income for rural families but are also susceptible to diseases that can cause losses. Improper health and disease management increase mortality and reduce egg production and economic losses. Country birds are more resistant to diseases. However, domestic birds are susceptible to some diseases. Due to the body’s lack of immunity, this disease’s incidence occurs, and economic losses are incurred.
Appropriate insecticides, health care, and proper treatment of native birds can help prevent this disease. Detection of disease symptoms and proper treatment can prevent the death of birds. Good hygiene and biosecurity practices are important for disease prevention and control in village chickens. Farmers should practice sanitation, clean water, feed, and isolate sick birds. Vaccination and proper medicines are also important for disease prevention and control.
Simple rules for preventing disease in chickens;
- Keep your chicken breeds healthy and strong by providing good food and clean living conditions.
- Vaccinate your chickens against common diseases.
- Do not keep too many chickens together in the same coop or house.
- If you are keeping different types of poultry, such as chickens, ducks, turkeys, and guinea fowls, do not keep them together but separately.
- Build shelters against wind and rain.
- Clean houses regularly and wash lime on floors and walls.
- If necessary, provide regular dry litter.
- Use appropriate drugs to treat sick chickens.
- Separate sick poultry birds from the rest of the flock. If the medicine is not available, kill sick birds. Burn or bury dead birds.
- Practice good hygiene and biosecurity.
In case you missed it: How this Farmer Made 24 Lakh Profit from Country Chicken Farming – A Success Story
What is the most basic housing requirement for a chicken?
Since the country chicken is a more robust and adaptable breed, they do not require extensive housing preparations, unlike other breeds. However, houses should protect birds from harsh sun, rain, wind, and cold stress. It should also be protected from frost during winters. In the case of free-range rearing systems, the birds are released to forage during the day and kept in pens at night.
Houses should be built in the north-south direction, not in the east-west direction, to avoid direct sunlight and promote maximum air circulation. Cheap, locally available household materials such as bamboo, wood, thatch, grass, etc., are used to construct houses. The floor is raised to avoid water accumulation or flooding. It should be free from rodent nuisance or water crevices, portable to change the house’s position if needed, and facilitate easy cleaning. A bulb should also be installed on the roof to keep the baby chickens warm and provide light.
What is country chicken?
Country chickens are all native domesticated birds raised by local farmers on a small scale in a natural environment – without much farmer intervention.
How can I make my country chicken gain weight?
A proper or balanced diet will protect your chickens from various diseases and improve their productivity. Poultry feed should contain all essential nutrients such as energy, protein, vitamins, minerals, and water.
What is the best country chicken breed in Andhra Pradesh?
The best country chicken breed in Andhra Pradesh is Aseel.
How many eggs does a country chicken breed lay?
Annual egg production: 180-190 eggs. Age of full maturity: 22-23 weeks. Weight at full maturity is about 3 kg (a hen) and 4 kg (male chicken).
How do I start a chicken business?
Like all businesses, poultry farming needs a well-planned business blueprint. You can always do a little market research before setting your business goals. A typical business plan for poultry farming includes the following details:
- Details of the land or location where your farm will be located
- Pieces of equipment used in the farm
- Details of types and breeds of birds
- Egg production process details
- Breeding process details
- Human resource details
- Cost analysis
- Funds and loans details
- Marketing strategies and advertising techniques
In case you missed it: Broiler vs Layer – Chicken Differences, Management
As your farm is set and poultry products are ready, you need a good marketing strategy to make a profit. Select the right market to sell your chicken products. For example, if your chicken farm is located on the outskirts of a city, you can easily become a supplier to retail stores in the city. Or you can partner with a local poultry distributor etc.
Steps to start your poultry business in India
- Step 1: Finalize the Sector: The first task is to decide on the sector to be finalized. Needs to be met include chicken breeding, broilers, poultry feed, egg and meat processing, etc.
- Step 2: Selection of birds: Select two types of birds broilers used for meat processing and layers used for egg production.
- Step 3: Finalize the location: The farm location from where the business will be run and managed.
- Step 4: Naming the business: Name farm registration or company formation per state laws.
- Step 5: Arrangement of Funds: Credit requirements to meet working capital requirements such as equipment and machinery, purchase of raw materials, payment of salaries, cash flow management, etc.
- Step 6: Marketing and Advertising: The business plan should detail the marketing and advertising strategies.
- Step 7: Finding the target audience, which includes the wholesale market, retailers, business owners, shopkeepers, etc.
What do I feed country chickens?
Feeding management is one of the most important aspects of poultry farming. Many dangerous poultry diseases are a direct result of improper poultry feeding practices. A balanced diet protects the birds from various diseases and increases their productivity. Therefore, properly understanding poultry feeding is essential to making poultry farming a profitable venture. Profitability in poultry farming generally depends on three main factors:
- Good breeding
- Balanced diet and
- Effective management
Feed for chicken breeds accounts for about 70% of the total cost of egg production and 55% of the cost of broiler production. Therefore, feed efficiency is an important factor for successful poultry production. A quality, nutritious diet is the foundation of poultry health and performance.
Country chickens that are raised free-range feed on grains, insects, and green plants. They also eat junk food available in urban areas. Country birds are mainly fed starch, fiber, protein, fat, minerals, vitamins, and water. Farmers can use locally available raw materials such as grains, cake varieties, bran varieties, fish flakes, vitamins, and minerals to make chicken feed.
In case you missed it: Chicken Manure Composting Process, Benefits
The main advantage of country chicken is the low initial investment and high economic returns. Per capita, protein consumption has long been a concern in India. Eggs and chicken are the cheapest and readily available options for this. Although poultry farming has grown tremendously in the last few decades, rural poultry has not improved much. It is because this sector has been largely neglected.
The above are the key factors focusing on various aspects of rearing and better management practices in country chicken farming in Andhra Pradesh. If you live in the following districts, cities, and towns of Andhra Pradesh (AP) and plan to raise Country Chicken/Naatu Kodi/Natu Kollu/Desi Chicken, this article might be helpful to set up and raise country chickens for profit.
|East Godavari||West Godavari||Konaseema||Adoni|
|Alluri Seetharama Raju||Manyam||Rajahmundry/Rajamahendravaram||Sullurupeta|
- How to Start Duck Farming from Scratch: A Detailed Guide for Beginners
- 17 Key Rules for Effective Organic Farm Management: From Planning to Reduce Production Cost
- Pineapple Farming/Production in USA: How to Start, A Step-by-Step Guide to Planting to Harvesting
- 14 Key Rules for Effective Rabit Farm Management: From Planning to Reducing Production Cost
- How to Start Pig Farming from Scratch: A Complete Guide for Beginners
- 19 Key Rules for Effective Goat Farm Management: From Planning to Reducing Production Cost
- How to Start Dairy Farming From Scratch: A Complete Guide for Beginners
- 16 Key Rules for Effective Sheep Farm Management: From Planning to Reduce Production Cost
- Home Hydroponic Farming for Beginners: Check How This Guide Helps to Start and Set up Soilless Garden from Scratch
- How to Start Country Chicken Farming from Scratch in Andhra Pradesh: A Step-By-Step Guide for Beginners
- How to Start Cucumber Farming in USA: A Step-by-Step Guide to Planting to Harvesting
- How to Start Broccoli Farming in USA: A Step-by-Step Guide to Planting to Harvesting
- How to Start Honey Bee Farming/Beekeeping from Scratch: A Complete Guide for Beginners
- How to Start Poultry Farming from Scratch: A Detailed Guide for Beginners
- Texas Agriculture: Soil, Farmland Facts, and Department of Agriculture in Texas
- Homemade Fertilizer for Vegetable Garden – A Detailed Guide for Beginners
- How to Start Bell Pepper Farming in the USA: Production, and A Step-by-Step Growing Guide for Beginners
- Almond Farming/Production in the USA: How to Start, A Step-by-step Guide to Planting to Harvesting for Beginners
- How to Control Aphids on Plants Naturally and Organically: In Vegetables, Fruits, Herbs, and Flowers
- Indian Gardening in the USA: For Home, Containers, Backyard, Vegetables, Flowers, Herbs, and Fruits
- How to Start Grapes Farming in the USA: Production, and A Step-by-Step Growing Guide for Beginners
- 19 Key Rules for Effective Dairy Farm Management: From Planning to Reduce Production Cost
- How to Water Your Garden with Solar Power: For Home Gardening, Greenhouse, Polyhouse, and Outdoor
- How to Start Goat Farming from Scratch: A Complete Guide for Beginners
- 16 Key Rules for Effective Shrimp/Prawn Farm Management: From Planning to Reduce Production Cost
- How to Grow Okra from Seed to Harvest: In Pots, On the Ground, A Full Detailed Guide for Beginners
- Goshala Registration and Preparation of a Project Report: For Seeking Government Assistance for Subsidy and Procurement of Land for Goshala
- How to Start Rose Farming in the USA: A Step-by-Step Production Guide for Planting to Harvesting
- 17 Key Rules for Effective Piggery Management: From Planning to Reduce Production Cost
- Best Season to Grow Onions at Home in India: in Pots, Terrace, Apartment Balcony, and Backyards
- 12 Key Rules for Effective Poultry Farm Management: From Planning to Reducing Production Cost
- How to Start Fish Farming on Terrace at Home: in Tanks on Small Scale, and a Guide for Rooftop Fish Farming
- Top 19 Steps/Ways/Methods to Boost Lettuce Yield: How to Increase Production, and Quality
- How to Start Tomato Farming in the USA: A Step-by-Step Production Guide to Planting to Harvesting
- Top 15 Steps/Ways/Methods to Boost Hazelnut Yield: How to Increase Production, Size, and Quality
- How to Start Cage Culture Fish Farming in India: Types, Cost, Profit, Report, and Management
This information How to Start Country Chicken Farming from Scratch in Andhra Pradesh: A Step-By-Step Guide for Beginners appeared first on AgriFarming