This picnic potato salad swaps hardboiled eggs for the jammy yolk of soft-cooked, then combines them with tender potatoes and crunchy bacon. It’s dotted with leafy greens and dill and tossed in a lemon mayonnaise-mustard dressing. It can be served warm or at room temperature, and it’s easily doubled when you need to serve a crowd.
- 2 large eggs
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 pound baby potatoes, halved or chopped into similar size pieces
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper, about half a medium pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- handful of watercress leaves, about 1/4 cup
- ground black pepper and dill sprigs for garnish
Fill a medium saucepan with water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Gently transfer the eggs to boiling water and cook at a low boil for 6 1/2 to 7 minutes. Remove the eggs from the cooking water, rinse with cold water and set aside.
Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium-high, and cook the bacon until the pieces are browned and crisp, about 7 minutes. Turn off the heat, and transfer the bacon to a bowl, leaving behind the bacon grease.
Place the potatoes in the warm grease, cut-sides down. Return the heat to medium-high. Cook until all sides are browned and the potatoes are tender, about 7 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to a medium bowl. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Add the bacon, green pepper and dill to the bowl. In a small dish, stir together the mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice. Pour the dressing over the potatoes. Add the salt and pepper. Stir well to coat all ingredients with the dressing.
Peel the eggs, and halve each. Transfer the dressed potato salad to a serving dish. Top with watercress leaves. Arrange the egg halves over the potatoes. Garnish with black pepper and dill. Serve potato salad with soft-cooked eggs warm or at room temperature.