WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Join Purdue experts for the Digital Ag Showcase on Friday, July 14, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. ET at the Beck Agricultural Center in West Lafayette. The free event includes demonstrations featuring both leading-edge research and practical applications related to data-driven agriculture.
“We are in a dynamic era of digital transformation within agriculture,” said Dennis Buckmaster, professor of agricultural and biological engineering and Dean’s Fellow for Digital Agriculture. “Participants at our event will take home an array of knowledge to help position themselves to take fuller advantage of the vast amount of data being generated from their farming operations.”
The day will include demonstrations and highlights of the work happening at Purdue related to data-driven agriculture. New this year are sessions focused on both livestock and specialty crops, as well as sessions specifically for high school educators.
Topics to be covered include:
- Digital tools for farm business management
- Digital weather resources for agriculturalists
- Using recycled drainage water for irrigation and fertigation of corn
- Sensor-based plant disease detection
- Applications of video and UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) in livestock management decisions
- Digital recordkeeping platform for specialty crop producers
Sessions on digital agriculture curriculum and training for high school agriculture and STEM educators will be offered. Indiana teachers will be eligible to receive Professional Growth Plan points for attending this event.
Session topics for educators include:
- Augmented reality of electromagnetism in agricultural technology
- Digital agriculture curriculum developed by Purdue Extension
- Demonstrations of sensors for precollege audiences
- Panel of high school educators with experience teaching digital ag topics
The program will feature an energetic presentation by full-time farmer and part-time software engineer/architect Aaron Ault of Rochester, Indiana. With motivating examples from his crop and livestock farm, Ault will demonstrate how simple digital platforms can enable improved logistics and decision making.
Beck Agricultural Center is located at the Agronomy Center for Research and Education, 4550 US 52 West, West Lafayette.
Farmers, industry professionals, educators, students and anyone with an interest in digital agriculture are encouraged to attend. Preregistration is requested at purdue.ag/digitalagshowcase by July 6 as lunch will be provided.
Writer/Media contact: Megan Kuhn, 765-494-9505, email@example.com
Source: Dennis Buckmaster, firstname.lastname@example.org
Agricultural Communications: 765-494-8415;
Maureen Manier, Department Head, email@example.com